12.12.2004

Rosette & cherry pin





One of the things I love about thrifting is revisiting the old. I cannot recall the many times I've run into a cotton doilly, or an almost finished granny-square afghan. Someone set out to tackle yarn and needles to create this object before me -- now shelved in hopes of making a second life somewheres. Albeit old, forgotton, often ugly and sometimes (lord forbid) smelly, I still appreciate the thoughtful work put into these personal items. I especially love Irish crochet items or bas-relief florals. When the craft is well done, I fall in love with textiles all over again.

With my head in some romantic, ruffled fervor, I set out to make one of those crocheted flowers with a small bit of hot pink, fuzzy yarn. There wasn't much of the stuff to begin with, so I was glad to find some purpose for it. I think it turned out fairly nice, for my first flower project. I added some ultra suede leaves, a cherry button detail, pin backing and I was hitting the streets! I've worn this pin almost every week for the past three years and it always lifts my spirits. I recently added the baby pink satin ribbon, as I'm currently into a "dripping visual" aesthetic. Go figure.... 100% wool, ultra suede, cherry button, satin ribbon. Made from recycled materials.

No comments: